ALPHONSA ENGLISH MEDIUM SCHOOL
(SENIOR SECONDARY) | C.B.S.E Affiliation No. 930189

Phone : 0495-2223040, 0495-2225965 | Email : alphonsatsy@gmail.com

Former Patrons


Alphons School Founder

Mar Sebastian Mankuzhikary (9 March 1929 - 11 June 1994)

was the first bishop of the Diocese of Thamarassery (Syro-Malabar Church) in Kerala, India. Born in Thanneermukkom, Kerala, he was educated at seminaries in India and ordained a priest on 12 March 1955. He subsequently studied philosophy at the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome where he completed his doctoral dissertation in 1959, Metaphysical Vision of Tagore (published posthumously in 2000, ed. Joseph Therattil), a study on the writer, philosopher and Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore. After post-doctoral work at the Catholic University of Louvain and teaching at the St. Joseph's Pontifical Seminary in Kerala, he was ordained auxiliary bishop of Ernakulam and titular bishop of Arethusa dei Siriin on 15 November 1969 and became the first holder of the bishopric of Thamarassery in 1986


Alphons School Patron

Mar Jacob Thoomkuzhy

Archbishop Mar Jacob Thoomkuzhy was born at Vilakumadam in the Eparchy of Palai on 13th December, 1930. At present his family belongs to Sacred Heart parish, Thiruvambady in the Eparchy of Thamarassery. He had his priestly studies at St. Joseph's Pontifical seminary, Aluva and Urban College, Rome. He was ordained priest on 22nd December 1956 in Rome. After the ordination he continued his studies there and took Doctorate in Canon and Civil laws from the Lateran University, Rome. On coming back he was appointed secretary of Mar Sebastian Vallopilly, the then Bishop of Thalassery, and chancellor of the Eparchy. Later he was appointed Rector of the Eparchial Minor Seminary at Thalassery. After a few years he resumed his studies at Fordham university New York from where he holds a Master's degree in English Literature. Soon after his return from the States he was again appointed Rector of the Eparchial Minor Seminary, Thalassery and worked there till his nomination as the first Bishop of the newly erected Eparchy of Manathavady in 1973. He was consecrated on 1st May, 1973 by the late mar Joseph Cardinal Parekattil assisted by the late Mar Sebastian Vayalil and Sebastian Vallopilly. He took charge of the Eparchy on the same day. He served the Eparchy of Manathavady for 22 years. On 7th June, 1995 he was transferred as the Bishop of Thamarassery and took charge of his office on 28th July 1995. On 18th December 1996 he was again transferred as the Archbishop of Trichur and installed on 15th February 1997. Marymatha Major Seminary, Jeeven T.V., Jyothi Engineering College, Mahajubilee Training College (B.Ed. College), Jubilee Mission Medical College and Teachers Training Institute, Etc. are some of his pioneering contribution to the Catholic Church and Society. He is the first President of CBCI. His motto is "Until Christ is formed in you". The resignation of Mar Jacob Thoomkuzhy from office as the Metropolitan Archbishop of Trichur submitted to the Major Archbishop on reaching 75 years of age became effective on 18 March 2007 when Mar Andrews Thazhath was enthroned as the new Metropolitan Archbishop of Trichur.


Alphons School Patron

MAR PAULCHITTILAPILLY

Mar Paul Chittilapilly was born to Chummar and Kunjai at Mattam in the Archeparchy of Trichur on February 7, 1934. He did his school studies at St. Francis High School Mattam. Having passed intermediate from S.H. College, Thevara, in 1953, he joined st. Mary's Minor Seminary, Trichur. He did his studies in philosophy at St. Joseph's Pontifical Seminary, Alwaye. He was then sent for theological studies to the Pontifical Urban University, Rome (1958 - 1962) from where he secured licentiate in theology.

He was ordained priest for the diocese of Trichur on October 18, 1961 in Rome by Mar Mathew Kavukatt, the then Archbishop of Changanassery. He continued his studies in Lateran University, Rome and took doctorate in Canon Law in 1966. During the period from 1962 to 1966, he also served as father prefect to the Malabar Community in San Josephat College, Rome. 

Back in the eparchy he was first appointed assistant parish priest at Aloor and Vellanchira. From 1967 to 1971, he was professor of theology and Canon Law at St. Thomas Apostolic Seminary, Kottayam. From 1971 to 1980, he was the chancellor of the Archeparchy of Trichur. In 1978, he was appointed Protosyncellus and Judicial Vicar. At the same time he served also as manager of St. Thomas College. In 1987, he was appointed chaplain to Syro-Malabar Catholics and General Director of K.C.A. in Bombay. 

On April 30, 1988, he was nominated Bishop of Kalyan and was ordained Bishop on August 24, 1988 by Antony Cardinal Padiyara. On November 11, 1996 he was appointed Bishop of Thamarassery and took charge of his office on February 13, 1997. He served the eparchy for 13 years and he continued in his office till 8th April 2010. At present, he is leading a peaceful life at Alphonsa Bhavan Thamarassery. Still he is active and present in various ministries in the diocese.